1. Money: Make sure you know what is your budget. Never exceed the amount you can afford. For instance if your income is $50,000$ you shouldn’t spend more than $25,000 on the car because the car will may become a finical problem to you.
2. Personal need: Ask yourself what is the purpose of the car. Decide whether you want a 4 door sedan or a 6 people van. Look into what class and what kind car you want. If the purpose of the car is just purposely transportation, then don’t look into luxurious cars such as Benz or BMW. Or whether the car is for family purpose or personal love of car then you can decide whether you want a SUV or Sports Car.
3. Difference Brand: Once you decide what type of car you want. Look at different brands that has similar cars. For instance, if you are looking into the Lexus IS, also look into the Nissan G35, BMW 3 series, Acura TL, Cadillac CTS. You get the point. The reason why is because the price range from the same class can range from 30,000 to 45,000 which is a lot of money. Therefore, you should go test drive and find out exactly which car you want.
4. Buying it New or Used. After you decide what car you want. Start researching online on how much does the new car and the used car cost. Make you sure researching on many dealerships as well. You can save up to 1,000$ USD. Personally, I would like to buy a new car over a used car, but if there’s a good deal on used car, then you should reconsider and decide yourself.
5. Finance. Try to reduce the finance rate as low as possible to benefit you more. Try to look for the best plan for you and communicate with the dealer.
6. Communication with the Seller. Now this is the tricky part. Dealers usually jacked up the price of the individual car because they can make more money if they make sales. Therefore, to prevent spending extra money, you should do your homework by reaching how much your car is really worth and make offers to the dealers instead of them making offer to you.
7. Mileage. There no doubt that the price of gas will continue to go up. Therefore, it might be a good idea to consider how much you are willing to spend on gas. You want to find a good car with good mileage.
8. Insurance Cost. Different car also have different insurance rate even when they are in the same class. The insurance cost should definitely be a factor to consider when you are comparing with other cars.
9. Maintenance Cost. Maintenance Cost for cars also varies for different car. For instance Benz will charge over 100$ just for an oil change while Toyota may charge 25$.
10. Warranty. This should be the last thing you look at when you buy a car. Look at what the warranty covers and compare with it other car companies